Skip to content
Further information on our Jazz Program.
Jazz Placement Auditions
Vocal and Instrumental Ensembles
Auditions to determine placement in vocal and instrumental jazz ensembles (Big Band, 12tet, Hybrid and combos) will be held at the Faculty of Music, 90 Wellesley location, on Tuesday, September 5 and Wednesday, September 6, 2023.
On Tuesday, September 5, 2023
Instrumental Group Auditions from 9:00AM
At 90W – instrumental group auditions for Undergrads: Research and learn the melody and harmony for two pieces:
- The Days of Wine and Roses, Key: F, Tempo: ¼ = 142-152
- Half Nelson, Key C, Tempo: ¼ = 158-168
- Be prepared to improvise (no reading music)
Students have been assigned a group and time: Jazz Instrumental Audition Groups (as of Jul 26). PLEASE READ CAREFULLY. Some of you have been scheduled twice for instrumentation purposes – you are highlighted in blue.
On Wednesday, September 6, 2023
Voice Auditions for Ensemble Placement from 10:00am.
At 90W, voice auditions will consist of:
- Returning vocalists are to choose between Stella by Starlight, All the Things You Are, or Chega de Saudade/No More Blues (which can be sung either in English or Portuguese). Bring your own charts for the chosen tune in your key, one for the accompanist and one for the panel. Be prepared to solo over the form of the song.
- New students, please be prepared to sing one of the three charts attached Jazz Voice Excerpts.
- All students should be prepared to sight read and improvise.
All new Voice students – please arrive at 10:00am.
Returning Voice students have been assigned a time: Jazz Voice Audition Schedule (as of Jul 5).
If you are interested in auditioning for any other ensemble at the Faculty of Music, or if you have questions concerning your Jazz audition, please contact Eddy Aitken at (416) 978-3733 email@example.com or Amanda Eyer Haberman at (416) 978-3746 firstname.lastname@example.org.
OTHER JAZZ INFORMATION: Mandatory master classes for all students in the Jazz program are scheduled Fridays, 3-5pm in the UJS. Do not book classes or electives during this time slot. Missed master classes will result in a deduction from Applied lesson grades.
There will be a mandatory meeting for all Jazz students in the UJS on
Friday, September 8, 2023: Schedule TBA.