2020/2021 (FALL) FACULTY OF MUSIC INSTRUMENTAL ENSEMBLES AT A GLANCE
- UT Symphony Orchestra: Mon, Wed & Fri 4:00-5:00pm Uri Mayer
- Wind Ensemble: Mon, Wed & Thurs 4:00-5:00pm Gillian MacKay
- Wind Symphony: Tues, Thurs & Fri 4:00-5:00pm Jeff Reynolds
- Contemporary Music Ensemble: Tues & Thurs 4:00-5:00pm Wallace Halladay
- Guitar Orchestra: Wed & Fri 4:30-6:00pm Rob MacDonald
- Graduate Saxophones: TBA Wallace Halladay
Strings, Woodwinds, Brass and Percussion Placement Auditions
These auditions determine your placement for the 2020-21 academic year in the University of Toronto Symphony Orchestra, Chamber Orchestra, Wind Ensemble, Wind Symphony or Contemporary Music Ensemble.
Ensemble conductors and instrument specialists will hear each audition and students will be ranked according to their level of performance. Based on the repertoire needs of the ensembles, some flow of players may occur during the year.
Major Ensemble Placement Auditions will be done by audio recording this year (due by Tues Sept 8).
- The Ensemble Placement Audition should be audio-only recorded in the manner of a live performance as one unedited, continuous take (all excerpts in order, in the same take).
- Please aim for the highest quality audio that can be produced given your resources (e.g., use an external microphone rather than your device’s built in microphone, if possible).
- Save your audio file with the following title format: Instrument StudentNumber
- Once your recording is ready to submit, please go to this link to upload your audio. You will need to log in with your utoronto e-mail address.
- Deadline to submit your recording is Tuesday, September 8, 2020.
- You may indicate your ensemble preference using this form. It must be submitted by 12:00pm (noon) Wednesday, September 9, 2020.
To keep with the manner of a screened audition, audio file titles will be anonymized before the adjudicators listen to them.
Please follow the instructions as outlined for your instrument and review:
General Guidelines for Preparing Audition Material 2020
Classical Instrumental Ensemble Audition Excerpts:
Prepare ALL the excerpts and record them in the order they are written.
Violins may opt out of excerpt #5, the Concertmaster audition.
Cello (updated Jul 17)
Double Bass (updated Jul 10)
Flute (updated Aug 12)
Tuba (updated Jul 10)