2023/2024 FACULTY OF MUSIC CLASSICAL INSTRUMENTAL ENSEMBLES AT A GLANCE
- UT Symphony Orchestra: Mon, Wed & Fri 3:00-5:00pm Uri Mayer
- Wind Ensemble: Mon, Wed & Thurs 3:00-5:00pm Gillian MacKay
- Wind Symphony: Tues, Thurs & Fri 3:00-5:00pm Pratik Gandhi
- Contemporary Music Ensemble: Tues & Thurs 3:00-5:00pm Wallace Halladay
- Guitar Orchestra: Wed & Fri 3:00-6:00pm Rob MacDonald
- Graduate Classical Saxophones: TBA Wallace Halladay
Strings, Woodwinds, Brass and Percussion Placement Auditions
These auditions determine your placement for the 2023-24 academic year in the University of Toronto Symphony Orchestra, Wind Ensemble, Wind Symphony or Contemporary Music Ensemble.
Ensemble conductors and instrument specialists will hear each audition and students will be ranked according to their level of performance. Based on the repertoire needs of the ensembles, some flow of players may occur during the year.
All instrumental auditions will be in-person.
- Wind, Brass and Percussion auditions will be screened. The audition panel will sit behind a screen and will not be able to see candidates as they audition. Adjudicators will only be able to identify you by number.
- All Wind/Brass/Percussion students must complete the Major Ensemble Placement – Classical Instrumental (2023) online form by end of day on Wed Sept 6
- String auditions will NOT be screened.
- All string students must complete the STRING Ensemble Placements (2023) online form by end of day on Thurs Aug 17
- Non-String students should contact Amanda in the Performance Office if they wish to schedule an audition and should not complete the form above
Please follow the instructions as outlined below for your instrument and review:
General Guidelines for Preparing Audition Material 2020
Advice for taking screened audition
- Arrive 10 minutes before your scheduled time.
- Students are identified in the schedules by the last 5 digits of their student number.
- Tuesday, September 5 – Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon, Horn
EPA Fl Ob Cl Bs FH 2023 (as of Aug 25)
- Wednesday, September 6 – Strings, Euphonium, Saxophone, Percussion
EPA Euph Sax Perc 2023 (as of Aug 25)
EPA String 2023 (as of Aug 25)
- Thursday, September 7 – Trumpet, Trombone, Bass Trombone, Tuba
EPA Tr Tb BTb Tu 2023 (as of Aug 25)
Classical Instrumental Ensemble Audition Excerpts:
Prepare ALL the excerpts.
- String students only need to audition if they want to be considered for a leadership position in the Orchestra, such as Concertmaster and/or Principal of a section
- String auditions will not be screened
- Those auditioning for principal positions in the Violin and Viola sections are asked to create their own bowings for each excerpt
Results will be posted on Friday, September 8, 2023, after 3:00pm.