Wind Conducting Symposium
Please note, the Wind Conducting Symposium will be taking a year off in 2023. See you again in 2024.
2023 Choral Conducting Symposium – July 4-7
- Dr. Jamie Hillman, Elmer Iseler Chair in Conducting/Director of Choral Studies/Associate Professor
- Dr. Felicia Barber, Associate Professor of Conducting, Adjunct, Yale University
- Dr. Darryl Edwards, Associate Professor, Voice Studies
- Joy Lee, Collaborative Pianist
Designed for school, church, community, and student conductors.
The eight conducting fellows selected for Dr. Hillman’s and Dr. Barber’s masterclasses will prepare Fauré’s Requiem and additional short, secular works assigned no later than June 3, 2023.
Group conducting coaching for all attendees will be part of daily activities. Participants (those who are not Fellows) will be given the option to conduct a movement of the Fauré or another work in a masterclass.
- Effectively leading school, church, and community choirs
- Conducting gesture and artistry
- Diverse choral repertoire and resources, including music by underrepresented composers and non-Western choral music
- Choral music, leadership, and programming in the 21st century
- Choral pedagogy and rehearsal strategies
- Vocal health and singing technique
- Score Study and Analysis
- Daily masterclasses and rehearsals with the Symposium Singers
- Individual voice consultations
- Scores and materials, including scores for a choral reading session
- Relationship building opportunities
- Welcome dinner on the evening of July 3 at a local restaurant, and morning coffee
- Tuesday, July 4 – Friday, July 7: 8:30am to 4:30pm (more details TBA)
- Edward Johnson Building, University of Toronto
Fees (in Canadian dollars) include all instruction and materials (including scores) and the welcome dinner on the evening of July 4.
- Conducting fellows (eight conductors selected by application, due May 15, 2023) – $500
(Those interested in being a Conducting Fellow should pay the Participant fee. An invoice for an additional $50 will be emailed to those selected as Fellows.)
- Participants- $450
- Full-time post-secondary students – $300
- Discount for members of American Choral Directors Association, Choral Canada, Choirs Ontario, National Association for Music Education, Ontario Music Educators Association (or another province’s association) -$50
Registration Deadline: June 3, 2023 (Participants), May 15, 2023 (Conducting Fellow applicants)
Conducting fellow applicants should attach a brief letter of intent and a current CV to the registration form.
On-campus housing available at Massey Hall (U of T). Please visit https://www.masseycollege.ca/summer-residence-programme/
Please note, the Choral Conducting Symposium will be taking a year off in 2024.