MUS 120Y1 & MUS 220Y1: Classical and Jazz Instrumental and Vocal Ensembles I and II
If you are looking for information on completing a Major or Minor in Music please check here (and select “Music for Arts & Science Students” from the drop down menu).
Auditions will take place, in-person, September 5-7, 2023.
Tuesday, September 5 – CLASSICAL Flute*, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon*, Horn
Tuesday, September 5 – JAZZ Instrumental
Wednesday, September 6 – CLASSICAL Violin, Viola, Cello*, Double Bass, Euphonium, Saxophone*, Percussion*, Classical Voice
Wednesday, September 6 – JAZZ Vocal
Thursday, September 7 – CLASSICAL Trumpet, Trombone, Bass Trombone, Tuba
TBA – CLASSICAL Guitar, Harp
- * We have extremely limited positions for Classical Flute, Bassoon, Saxophone, Percussion and Cello this year, and will only consider auditions on these instruments from those applying for the Arts & Science Major/Specialist programs with the ensemble option.
- We have no availability on Jazz Drums.
- We especially need :
- Classical Clarinet, Horn, Trombone, Viola, Double Bass and Guitar
- Jazz Trumpet, Trombone and Bass Trombone
- Tenor and Bass voices, for both classical and jazz
2023/2024 Major Ensembles:
- UT Symphony Orchestra: Mon, Wed & Fri 3:00-5:00pm Uri Mayer
- Wind Ensemble: Mon, Wed & Thurs 3:00-5:00pm Gillian MacKay
- Wind Symphony: Tues, Thurs & Fri 3:00-5:00pm Pratik Gandhi
- Contemporary Music Ensemble: Tues & Thurs 3:00-5:00pm Wallace Halladay
- Guitar Orchestra: Wed & Fri 3:00-6:00pm Rob MacDonald
- MacMillan Singers: Mon & Wed 3:00-5:00pm Jamie Hillman
- Chamber Choir: Mon & Wed 3:00-5:00pm Lori-Anne Dolloff
- Soprano/Alto Chorus: Tues & Thurs 3:00-5:00pm Kathleen Allan
- Tenor/Bass Chorus: Tues & Thurs 3:00-5:00pm Thomas Burton
- Jazz Orchestra: Mon & Wed 11:00am-1:00pm TBA
- Jazz Orchestra: Tues & Thurs 10:00am-12:00pm TBA
- Jazz Orchestra, 12tet: Tues & Thurs 10:00am-12:00pm TBA
- Vocal Jazz: Mon & Wed 11:00am-1:00pm Christine Duncan
*rehearsal times are subject to change
All major ensembles at the Faculty of Music require a minimum of 4-6 hours of rehearsal per week not including dress rehearsals and performances. Students must keep their academic schedules free during ensemble rehearsal and performance hours.
What you must do before the audition:
- Complete and submit the MUS120Y220Y application form by Thursday, August 17, 2023, 11:59pm. You will be notified of your audition time by e-mail on August 30, 2023.
- Obtain the relevant information/excerpts for your audition, below.
- If you have any questions about these auditions please contact us at email@example.com.
2023 Classical Instrumental Ensemble Audition:
All classical Wind, Brass and Percussion instrumental auditions will be screened. The audition panel will sit behind a screen and will not be able to see candidates as they audition. Adjudicators will only be able to identify you by number.
Advice for taking screened audition
General Guidelines for Preparing Audition Material
Prepare the following excerpts for the instrument you will be auditioning on:
* We have extremely limited positions for Classical Flute, Bassoon, Saxophone, Percussion and Cello this year, and will only consider auditions on these instruments from those applying for the Arts & Science Major/Specialist programs with the ensemble option.
2023 Classical String (Violin, Viola, Cello*, Double Bass) Audition (not screened):
- Prepare 2 contrasting works, at minimum grade 10 level RCM
2023 Classical Acoustic Guitar Audition (not screened):
- Prepare 2 contrasting pieces, minimum grade 6-7 level RCM
- There will also be a sight reading assessment
2023 Classical Harp Audition (not screened):
- Prepare 3 orchestral excerpts from grade 10 level RCM
- Prepare 1 harp solo from grade 10 level RCM
2023 Classical Choir Ensemble Audition:
*We especially need Tenor and Bass voices
- Prepare and sing Loch Lomond
- Please sing one verse only, your choice
- Go directly to the third ending
- You will be accompanied by a pianist, an accompanist will be provided
- You are not required to memorize the piece
- Aural skills test: two short sing-backs on a vowel/neutral syllable
- Sight-sing a short melody on a vowel/neutral syllable or on solfège (your choice)
- Range check – One of the choral conductors will lead you through simple exercises to get a better sense of your range
- Choir Information Form, complete the form and bring a copy with you to your audition.
- All Choirs Meeting: Friday, September 8, 3:00-4:00pm
2023 Jazz Instrumental Ensemble Audition:
- Group auditions for Jazz Instrumentalists will take place at 90 Wellesley St. on Tuesday, September 5, 2023.
- Research and learn the melody and harmony for two pieces:
- The Days of Wine and Roses, Key: F, Tempo: ¼ = 142-152
- Half Nelson, Key C, Tempo: ¼ = 158-168
- Be prepared to improvise (no reading music).
- Arts & Science students will be added to existing audition groups and notified of their time-slot on August 30, 2023.
- We have no availability for Jazz Drums this year.
2023 Jazz Voice Ensemble Audition:
- A group audition for placement in the Vocal Jazz Ensemble will take place at 90 Wellesley St. on Wednesday, September 6, 2023.
- Be prepared to sing one of the three charts here: Jazz Voice Excerpts.
- Be prepared to sight read and improvise.
- Arts & Science students will be notified of their time-slot on August 30, 2023.
What you must do after the audition:
- A list of successful applicants will be posted across from the Performance Office (rm 107 in the Edward Johnson Building) on Friday, September 8, 2023, after 3:00pm.
- If you are successful, you must pick up a permission form from the Faculty of Music Registrar’s Office (rm 145, EJB) and take it to your own College Registrar’s Office to be enrolled in MUS 120 or 220 by your own department.