Concert dates and ticket information can be found on the following website:
Ensemble rehearsal and performance schedules can be found on the bulletin boards across from the Performance Office.
All major ensembles at the Faculty of Music require a minimum of 4-6 hours of rehearsal per week not including dress rehearsals and performances. Students must keep their academic schedules free during ensemble rehearsal and performance hours.
2018/2019 Major Ensembles:
- UT Symphony Orchestra: Mon, Wed & Fri 3:00-5:00pm Uri Mayer
- Wind Ensemble: Mon, Wed & Thurs 3:00-5:00pm Gillian MacKay
- Wind Symphony: Tues, Thurs & Fri 3:00-5:00pm Jeff Reynolds
- MacMillan Singers: Mon & Wed 3:00-5:00pm David Fallis
- Women’s Chamber Choir: Tues & Thurs 3:00-5:00pm Lori-Anne Dolloff
- Women’s Chorus: Mon & Wed 3:00-5:00pm Elaine Choi
- Men’s Chorus: Tues & Thurs 3:00-5:00pm Mark Ramsay
- Guitar Orchestra: Wed & Fri 3:00-6:00pm Jeffrey McFadden
- Graduate Saxophones: TBA Wallace Halladay
- UTJO: Tues, Thurs 10:00-11:30am & Fri 5:00-6:00pm Gordon Foote
- 11 O’clock Jazz Orchestra: Mon & Wed 11:00am-1:00pm Jim Lewis
- U of T 12tet: Mon & Wed 11:00am-1:00pm Terry Promane
- Vocal Jazz Ensemble: Mon & Wed 11:00am-1:00pm Christine Duncan
Attendance & Punctuality:
Attendance is mandatory for all scheduled rehearsals and concerts. Absences for medical reasons and outside engagements must be reported in advance to the Ensemble Conductor. Appropriate documentation will be required to support the absences. Absences on medical grounds must be documented with a University of Toronto Medical Certificate. You will still be responsible for making sure your music arrives at the rehearsal/sectional. Please check with the individual Ensemble Conductor regarding their policy on substitute players. Unexcused absences may result in loss of credit or loss of assigned part.
Inability to perform due to physical problems does not excuse anyone from attending rehearsals. Students must be present to observe the rehearsal even if unable to play or sing.
A professional standard of punctuality is expected; ensemble members are to be seated (and tuned if applicable), ready to begin at the scheduled start time.
Musicianship & Preparation:
It is understood that performers are to come prepared to every rehearsal, including the first one. It is at the discretion of the Conductor to evaluate that this is so. The Ensemble Conductor will evaluate musicianship and preparation on an ongoing basis.
Evaluation of the quality of student’s contribution will be at the discretion of the Ensemble Conductor.
Performing ensembles are not, and should not be, considered in the same light as other university classes. Since the Faculty of Music is a professional school of music, it is appropriate that all ensemble groups be treated like professional organizations. A casual approach to attendance is unacceptable and necessity of teamwork, mutual dependency within the ensemble, and a strong sense of responsibility to one’s colleagues as well as the ensemble as a whole, is essential.
Ensemble Managers liaise between the Performance Office and the ensemble. Duties can include: set up and tear down of rehearsal space, attendance, concert logistics, collection of music and assistance to ensemble director. You must be a member of the ensemble to be the manager.
If you are responsible, cooperative and willing to do some physical work, please send an e-mail to Eddy Aitken at firstname.lastname@example.org with a short note about yourself once the ensemble placements have been posted. Positions will be filled by September 10, 2018.
Positions available may include:
- University of Toronto Symphony Orchestra (4 positions)
- Wind Ensemble (3 positions)
- Wind Symphony (3 positions)
- UT Chamber Orchestra (1 position)
- MacMillan Singers (1 position)
- Women’s Chamber Choir (1 position)
- Women’s Chorus (2 positions)
- Men’s Chorus (1 position)
- Vocal Jazz Ensemble (1 position)
- University of Toronto Jazz Orchestra (2 positions)
- 11 O’clock Jazz Orchestra (2 positions)
- University of Toronto 12tet (2 positions)