Further information on our Jazz Program.
2018/2019 FACULTY OF MUSIC JAZZ ENSEMBLES AT A GLANCE (Schedules do not include dress rehearsals and performances)
- UTJO: Tues, Thurs 10:00-11:30am & Fri 5:00-6:00pm Gordon Foote
- 11 O’clock Jazz Orchestra: Mon & Wed 11:00am-1:00pm Jim Lewis
- U of T 12tet: Mon & Wed 11:00am-1:00pm Terry Promane
- Vocal Jazz Ensemble: Mon & Wed 11:00am-1:00pm Christine Duncan
Jazz Placement Auditions
Vocal and Instrumental Ensembles
Auditions to determine placement in vocal and instrumental jazz ensembles (big band and combos) will be held at the Faculty of Music, 90 Wellesley location, on Tuesday, September 4 and Wednesday, September 5, 2018.
On Tuesday, September 4, 2018
- Placement Exams – Undergrads year 1
In Upper Jazz Studio – Materials Placement Exam 9:30am and Ear Training Placement Exam 11:00am.
- Instrumental Group Auditions from 1:00PM
In Upper Jazz Studio – instrumental group auditions for Undergrads in years 1 & 2 and Masters year 1:
- Research and learn the melody and harmony for Yesterdays in D minor, ♩= 112, and Like Someone in Love in C, ♩= 180. Be prepared to improvise (no reading music). Students have been assigned a group and time: Jazz Audition Groups(as of Aug 22). PLEASE READ CAREFULLY. Some of you have been scheduled twice for instrumentation purposes.
- Sight Reading for Ensemble Placement from 1:00pm
In Room 380, sight reading auditions for Undergrads in years 3 & 4 and Masters year 1:
Find your scheduled time under your instrument on this schedule. Sight Reading Tuesday Sept 4 (as of August 22)
On Wednesday, September 5, 2018
- Voice Auditions for Ensemble Placement from 12:00noon
In the Lower Jazz Studio, voice auditions will consist of:
- Returning vocalists choose between Stella by Starlight, All the Things You Are, and Chega de Saudade (No More Blues) which can be sung either in English or Portuguese. Bring your own charts for the choice tune, in your key, one for the accompanist and one for the panel. Be prepared to solo over the form of the song.
- New students, please be prepared to sing one of the three charts attached. Jazz Voice Excerpts
- All students should be prepared to sight read and improvise.
- Sight Reading for Ensemble Placement from 10:00am
In Upper Jazz Studio, sight reading auditions for Undergrads years 1 & 2:
Find your scheduled time under your instrument on this schedule. Sight Reading on Wednesday, Sept 5 (as of August 22)
If you are interested in auditioning for any other ensemble at the Faculty of Music, or if you have questions concerning your Jazz audition, please contact Eddy Aitken at (416) 978-3733 email@example.com or Amanda Eyer Haberman at (416) 978-3746 firstname.lastname@example.org.
There will be mandatory meetings for ALL Jazz students on Friday, September 7, 2018.
Graduate Students: 2:00pm, rm 380
Undergraduate Students: 3:15pm, UJS
Mandatory masterclasses for all students in the Jazz program are scheduled Fridays, 3-5pm in the UJS. Do not book classes or electives during this time slot. Missed masterclasses will result in a deduction from applied lesson grades.