2021/2022 FACULTY OF MUSIC CLASSICAL INSTRUMENTAL ENSEMBLES AT A GLANCE
- UT Symphony Orchestra: Mon, Wed & Fri 3:00-6:00pm Uri Mayer
- Wind Ensemble: Mon, Wed & Thurs 3:00-6:00pm Gillian MacKay
- Wind Symphony: Tues, Thurs & Fri 3:00-6:00pm Jeff Reynolds
- Contemporary Music Ensemble: Tues & Thurs 3:00-6:00pm Wallace Halladay
- Guitar Orchestra: Wed & Fri 3:00-6:00pm Rob MacDonald
- Graduate Saxophones: TBA Wallace Halladay
Classical Instrumental Ensembles must reserve 9 hours/week; rehearsals limited to 6 hours/week. Except CME where students must reserve 6 hours/week; rehearsals limited to 4 hours/week.
Strings, Woodwinds, Brass and Percussion Placement Auditions
These auditions determine your placement for the 2021-22 academic year in the University of Toronto Symphony Orchestra, Chamber Orchestra, Wind Ensemble, Wind Symphony or Contemporary Music Ensemble.
Ensemble conductors and instrument specialists will hear each audition and students will be ranked according to their level of performance. Based on the repertoire needs of the ensembles, some flow of players may occur during the year.
Major Ensemble Placement Auditions will be done by audio recording this year (due by Wednesday, September 1, 2021).
- The Ensemble Placement Audition should be audio-only recorded in the manner of a live performance as one unedited, continuous take (all excerpts in order, in the same take).
- Please aim for the highest quality audio that can be produced given your resources (e.g., use an external microphone rather than your device’s built in microphone, if possible).
- Save your one audio file, MP3, with the following title format: Instrument StudentNumber
- If auditioning on more than one classical instrument, you must submit separate audio files for each instrument (such as trombone and bass trombone).
- Once your recording is ready to submit, please go to this link to upload your one MP3 file. You will need to log in with your utoronto e-mail address.
- You will be able to indicate your ensemble preferences on the same form.
- Deadline to submit your recording is Wed Sept 1, 21.
To keep with the manner of a screened audition, audio file titles will be anonymized before the adjudicators listen to them.
Please follow the instructions as outlined for your instrument and review:
General Guidelines for Preparing Audition Material 2020
Classical Instrumental Ensemble Audition Excerpts:
Prepare ALL the excerpts and record them in the order they are written.
- Violin (you no longer need to include the solo piece)
- Viola (you no longer need to include the solo piece)
- Double Bass (you no longer need to include the solo piece)
If you would like to audition for any other ensembles, or if you have any questions, please contact the Performance Office.