MUS 120Y1 & MUS 220Y1: Classical and Jazz Instrumental and Vocal Ensembles I and II
2018/2019 INFORMATION WILL BE UPDATED IN EARLY JULY 2018
All Arts & Science students are required to successfully perform an audition in order to be placed in a Faculty of Music Classical or Jazz Ensemble. These auditions take place during Orientation week in the 2018-19 academic year:
- Classical Instrumental Auditions will take place on September 4-6, 2018 (depending on instrument)
- Classical Vocal Auditions will take place on Wednesday, September 5, 2018 (after 5:00pm)
- Jazz Instrumental Auditions will take place on September 4-5, 2018 (depending on instrument)
- Jazz Vocal Auditions will take place on September 4-5, 2018 (exact date to be confirmed)
Faculty of Music 2018/2019 Ensembles are:
- UT Symphony Orchestra: Mon, Wed & Fri 3:00-5:00pm
- UT Chamber Orchestra: Tues & Thurs 3:00-6:00pm
- Wind Ensemble: Mon, Wed & Thurs 3:00-5:00pm
- Wind Symphony: Tues, Thurs & Fri 3:00-5:00pm
- MacMillan Singers: Mon & Wed 3:00-5:00pm
- Women’s Chamber Choir: Tues & Thurs 3:00-5:00pm
- Women’s Chorus: Mon & Wed 3:00-5:00pm
- Men’s Chorus: Tues & Thurs 3:00-5:00pm
- Guitar Orchestra: Wed & Fri 3:00-6:00pm
- UTJO: Tues, Thurs 10:00-11:30am & Fri 5:00-6:00pm
- 11 O’clock Jazz Orchestra: Mon & Wed 11:00am-1:00pm
- U of T 12tet: Mon & Wed 11:00am-1:00pm
- Vocal Jazz Ensemble: Mon & Wed 11:00am-1:00pm
*rehearsal times are subject to change
All major ensembles at the Faculty of Music require a minimum of 4-6 hours of rehearsal per week not including dress rehearsals and performances. Students must keep their academic schedules free during ensemble rehearsal and performance hours.
What you must do before the audition:
- CLASSICAL ENSEMBLES: Complete and return the MUS120Y220Y application form by Friday, August 17, 2018, 4:00pm. You will be notified of your audition time by e-mail on August 28, 2018.
- JAZZ ENSEMBLES: Complete and return the MUS120Y220Y application form by Friday, August 17, 2018, 4:00pm. You will be notified of your audition time by e-mail on August 28, 2018.
- It is VERY important to submit the application form linked above to the Performance Office at the Faculty of Music by the required dates.
- Obtain the relevant information/excerpts for your audition.
- If you have any questions about these auditions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2018 Classical Instrumental Ensemble Audition:
All classical instrumental auditions will be screened. The audition panel will sit behind a screen and will not be able to see candidates as they audition. Adjudicators will only be able to identify you by number.
Advice for taking screened audition
Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon, Fr Horn – Tuesday, September 4, 2018
Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass– Wednesday, September 5, 2018
Saxophone, Euphonium, Percussion – Wednesday, September 5, 2018
Trumpet, Trombone, Tuba – Thursday, September 6, 2018 (after 3:00pm)
2018 Classical Acoustic Guitar Audition:
- prepare 2 contrasting pieces, minimum gr 8 level RCM
- there will also be a sight reading assessment
2018 Classical Choir Ensemble Audition:
- Everyone will do aural skills tests, including “sing-backs,” where you hear patterns played on the piano and then you repeat them on “lah.”
- Everyone will sight-sing a melody, either on a neutral syllable (like “lah”) or on solfege syllables (doh, re, mi, fa, sol, la, ti, doh), if you are comfortable with those.
- Some people may be asked to do an additional example, a melody on text.
- Sight-reading is an important part of the audition because all of our choirs work from notated scores and cover a lot of repertoire in a season.
- Please complete and bring this CHOIR AUDITION/EVALUATION FORM to your audition.
- UofTchoral attendance policy 2017 18
- Choral Area Syllabus 2017-2018
- Audition Schedule: MUS120220 Classical Voice
2018 Jazz Instrumental Ensemble Audition:
Auditions for Jazz Instrumentalists will take place in the Upper Jazz Studio at 90 Wellesley St. You will be notified of your audition date/time by Eddy Aitken after your application form is received.
If you have questions regarding your Jazz audition, please contact Eddy Aitken at (416) 978-3733 email@example.com
2018 Vocal Jazz Ensemble Audition:
Jazz Vocalist auditions will take place as a group in the Lower Jazz Studio at 90 Wellesley St. You will be notified of your audition date/time by Eddy Aitken after your application form is received.
- Please be prepared to sing one of the three charts: Jazz Voice Excerpts.
- Go to 90 Wellesley St. before your scheduled time. (Someone will meet and direct you at the front doors.)
- Identify yourself as an Arts & Science student to the Vocal Jazz Conductor, Christine Duncan.
- Be prepared to sight read and improvise.
- A rhythm section will be provided.
- If you have questions regarding your Jazz audition, please contact Eddy Aitken at (416) 978-3733 firstname.lastname@example.org
What you must do after the audition:
- A list of successful applicants will be posted across from the Performance Office (rm 107 in the Edward Johnson Building) on Friday, September 7, 2018, after 3:00pm.
- If you are successful, you must pick up a permission form from the Faculty of Music Registrar’s Office (rm 145) and take it to your own College Registrar’s Office to be enrolled in MUS 120 or 220 by your own department.